Friday, July 30, 2010

A Few Observations on the Midwest

After being here for a few weeks, I have noticed a few things about the Midwest. I am by no means an expert, but here are my takeaways:

1. We are in the land of pop. Not Lady Gaga, but pop as in soft drinks. The signs at Subway even say "pop lids." I've heard people call it soda and down in Texas we say we want a Coke and then they ask, "Ok, we have Sprite, Diet Coke, Dr. Pepper..." Along these same lines, Pepsi is king here! I always wondered how they made any money and it turns out the Midwest is their sweet spot.

2. Staying in the beverage category, the iced tea here is TERRIBLE. I'm a big iced tea fan and usually have at least one glass a day, so I feel pretty qualified to make this call. It is always really watery, not to mention there is never any sweetener around. And if I am lucky enough to find it, there is never Sweet-N-Low. I found a place that had sweet tea and thought this was going to do the trick but boy was I wrong! I couldn't even taste the sweetness! But I thought it would be rude to ask for sweetener when clearly they thought this was it.

3. Midwesterners love their old cars. I have seen more restored vehicles in these few weeks than I have in my whole life. This has actually been kind of cool. There is everything from old Porsche convertibles to muscle cars. And in addition, Ford rules here. I was pretty surprised, as I thought Chevy would definitely hold it's own, but apparently this is Ford Country.

4. The accents are hilarious. There's a lot of "Eh" thrown around. The accent can sometimes have a touch of Canadian, which throws things off.

5. Everyone is very patriotic. There are American flags everywhere, which reminds me of the East Coast. Everyone is very proud of our country, which has been really cool to see.

But the main takeaway is that everyone has been so nice. Whether it's asking directions or looking for other people to sail with Michael, everyone has been really helpful.

No comments:

Post a Comment