Friday, August 6, 2010

Dino-mite

Yesterday I decided to check out what else Sandusky had to offer and stumbled upon the Marblehead Lighthouse, which was built in 1821. The tower is 65 ft tall and there were 77 stairs up to the top. The lighthouse keeper used to climb a wooden ladder with whale oil and fill up the lamps at the top for the passing ships. Now it is operated by the Coast Guard and a green light flashes every 6 seconds. The view was really pretty and you could see several islands from the top.

As I was driving back to town, I stumbled upon the Prehistoric Forest. I only know about these from Tommy Boy and have actually never seen one in person. I decided the opportunity was too good to pass up. I discovered that basically you pay to walk through a forest that has dinosaurs made out of fiberglass. The funny part was that some of the creatures weren't even true dinosaurs. For instance, there was a huge preying mantis that I'm pretty sure wasn't around in the Jurassic Period. The dinosaurs were also painted in crazy colors, like a neon orange teradactyl.


Overall I'd say the Prehistoric Forest fits right in with Sandusky - amusing yet it doesn't make any sense!

No comments:

Post a Comment