Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Where Am I???

We have arrived in Sandusky, OH and I was definitely not prepared for this.

Sandusky is home to Cedar Point, which claims to be "The Roller Coaster Capital of the World!" While this may sound like we've hit the jackpot, I'd say we've lost big time.

Apparently this amusement park is a big attraction for people in the area to vacation. The best way I can describe it is "it ain't Disneyland." If you have access to a mobile home, are sporting lots of tattoos, and prefer to wear t-shirts with huge holes cut on the arms, this is your Heaven. I was looking around at the diner where we have breakfast each morning and just picturing the family next to us packing up the kids, with a Marlboro Red dangling out of mom's lips, trying to decide which pair of denim shorts you should pack for Junior.

I have been to other parts of Ohio and am glad to say that this atmosphere is local to Sandusky. And to top it all off, it is PACKED! Hotels are super expensive - imagine paying $100 for a Saturday night at the Motel 6!

I think the other key factor here is the amount of waterparks. While some may disagree, I have always loathed these places. The thought of me and every other Joe in town going around in our bathing suits, swimming in the same pee-filled water and then going down slides with algae growing on the sides is not my idea of a good time. But in Sandusky, the waterpark is king! They even have indoor water parks, not to mention hotels with water parks inside of them. You're driving by the Wolf Lodge, and all of a sudden there is a huge yellow tube twisting off the side of the building. Let's stay there!

There is also a plethora of haunted houses (which is just odd in August), mini golf courses, and arcades. I will say I'm excited to check out the amusement park (apparently there are 17 roller coasters...you can see the park from across the lake and they are TALL), and I am sure it will make for good blog commentary.

But right now, I am counting down the days until we can get out of town!

No comments:

Post a Comment